Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Sharing from Vogue.com J. Crew Makes a Colorful Splash for Spring 2011

Sharing from Vogue.com  This article by Esther Adams previewing J. Crew's Spring Collection for 2011(vogue.com) actually posted back in November (2010), but worth sharing to ignite a passion for Spring...I think I am more than a little bit ready!  Let me just say that I love the "Lauren Hutton-esque" open blouse and exaggerated wide-legged pant (last image).  This is a year-round favorite style for me.  And believe me if I had a place to wear the long sequin skirt, I probably would!  I am so loving any shade of blue this Spring whether it be denim/chambray, baby blue, cobalt, midnight...that and pale pink are striking my fancy.  I am not so much liking the neon pops of color that are popping up now in nearly every Fall show I see as well though it may grow on me for summer, definitely not for Spring.  Spring for me is about subtlety and neon pink or bubble bright doesn't appeal to me in a Spring collection.  I also like the "disheveled" look every so slightly, but some of these models look as though they have completely rolled out of bed.  I like the classic pants and pretty blouses.  Some things just never go out of style.



“We always bring a touch of glamour to daywear,” says J.Crew creative directorJenna Lyons at a preview of the spring 2011 collection, held at Milk Studios in New York. “But this time around, it was about looking to Hollywood icons likeLauren Hutton and Audrey Hepburn.” That explains the season’s new proportions: Waists on shorts were higher, hems on skirts were longer, and pant legs were wider—much wider—an altogether exciting offering for those seeking springtime cool for less. 
Says Marissa Webb, vice president of women’s design: “We loved the color, richness, and texture of Hans Hoffman’s artwork, which became the collection’s starting point.” The result? Dazzling neon-pink shorts and tangerine frocks, and washed-out denim shirts that added an air of insouciance to long, pewter sequin skirts. But there was plenty for the anti-sparklers among us. From long, silken, bias-cut dresses under nylon khaki parkas to wide-leg cotton pants and linen shirts in stone, J.Crew has its cross-generational fan base pretty much covered. “That mix of menswear with womenswear, day with evening, is all part of our heritage,” says Lyons. “However it’s done, we always strive for a slightly disheveled look.” So, whichever pieces make your checklist, take your cues from their models and complete the getup with an electric-orange lip and gently tousled updo. -- Esther Adams
November 08, 2010 4:25 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment