Sunday, January 24, 2010

My Current 2010 J. Crew "Hit and Miss" List

Let me start by saying, that I have been waiting for some "wow" factor from J. Crew as we head out of the holidays and into pre-spring.  After perusing the LookBook and runway reports, I have been moderately excited about what is to come from JC.  I am going to start a "Hit and Miss" list where I share my thoughts on those items new or carryover that peak my interest or those that simply miss (frequency TBD).  Unfortunately some of the "miss" items are just short of fashion disaster for me and create confusion for me as to how they even got interwoven into the beautiful collections that J. Crew has to offer.



Without further ado, let's start with my current selections as "Hits".  Many of these items are new as of January 2010.


1. The Crinkled Silk Shell at $88 is a great departure from all the ruffles and bows which you hear me ranting about of recent.  I am ready to see a more minimalist layering piece that is still feminine, but not to "girly girl-ish".  This piece would work equally well for work or with shorts for a more dressed-up look into summer.








2.  The Silk chiffon Taryn dress at $215 is so romantic and feminine.  It  comes in an extraordinary selection of colors with rich hues including some lighter such as dusty shale, sweet thistle and berry.  It's drapey chiffon is hemmed a bit shorter making it a great choice for a dressier night out, special occasion to warm weather vacation.  It is a bit steep in price, but could be a terrific piece for years.


3. The Gallery short at $58 has a nice modern edge that could dress up a tee or wear with blouse.  Not sure this would be a great choice for us hippy girls, but I like the edge of this short.  It has nice flat back pocket/slit detailing which gives it a very finished look.  I would wear these with a heel or flops.








4. These Rosebud metallic capri sandals at $78 are sweet, dressy and a nice alternative to full dress shoe in warmer weather.  I must admit that you can never seem to have enough of these just like the tees.  At $78, not sure I would buy one in each color (metallic graphite, platinum gold and platinum silver, but that are tempting.  They would be lovely with shorts or with a longer summer dress.











5. I am still hanging on to really liking this  Crystal-and-pearl pastiche bracelet and necklace for that matter although the $88/$135 price points make me cringe.  I have patiently waited through my eBay list of watch items so more to come if I actually push through and purchase either of these statement pieces.  I like that they are a little on the edge without being completely obnoxious like the Fenton & Fallon for J. Crew piece on my "Miss" list below.






6. I continue to have a bit of an obsession with a sweet clutch such as this new Panier clutch at $88.  The texture of this is really pretty.  I have always been a "big" bag person, but these are such statement pieces with a pop of color, even if you can only hold a tube of lipstick in them at best!




7. I will find a place to wear this Jersey promenade gown at $118 whether is is on vacation or summer party.  It has such a bohemian feel to it and I love this lilac color which would look fantastic with the rosebud metallic capri sandals.  I love the empire waist and cinching with the jersey fabric.  It looks incredibly comfortable.  This dress would provide a great opportunity to show off some fantastic jewelry pieces as well.  It also comes in dark pewter which is lovely as well.








8.  This Ruffled gamine jacket is pricey at $178, but I love the detail on the stitching on this.  And, I always love transitional jackets that can not only go from season into season, but can be worn as jacket to blazer.  I also like where this jacket hits on the thigh.  It is super flattering.  This was the last of the items that immediately caught my eye.








And now my "Miss" list for a variety of reasons, but mostly because that looked completely out of place in my opinion to anything else.  Or they simply represent my growing irritation to seeing ruffles, layers, bows...or I trend I could never adopt -- you get the picture.  I am ready for a departure and these just don't cut it.


1.  This is just a mess (Dogwood decadence).  I would not be caught dead in this necklace.  Ok, so I'm being a bit dramatic, but seriously it looks like the necklace that got all the leftover and scrap materials all tied into it.  At $135, it further drives my distaste.



2.  Couple seasons later, I still cannot embrace the Anklet and shoe of any kind.  And not sure how it ever became a trend.  As a 40-something cannot envision myself wearing this to work, an occasion or anywhere for that matter!  I get the styling, but don't think that too many women can pull this one off.
















3.  Need I say more?  This Cotton papillon blouse is described to be adorned with butterflies and at first glance looks like more RUFFLES...redistributed to blouse.  Worse, I would rather be detailed with ruffles than a creature.  Again, where is the reinvention or the innovation of a great shirt.  


4.  I don't even know what to say about this.  Vintage-inspired or not, this Bow tie skirt would not even be flattering on my 8-year old daughter.  So whomever invests and I mean invests in this $350 must have a real passion for BOWs.  Please, stop the madness.



5.  This Embossed organza O'hara gown looks like it could be friends with the skirt above.  It looks like a very bad drape meets bedspread endeavor and am fairly sure would end up on a major Glamour "Don't" list.  This one comes in at $2,200.  While JC touts the fabric that it comes from the famed Marco Lagattolla mill based in Lake Como, Italy, I still don't appreciate the beauty of this one.  Ok, I will stop...but one more - it reminds me of a bad Disney World Princess gown say for "Belle"?










6.  I already reviewed this Fenton and Fallon/J. Crew inspired Carrington Crystal bow necklace.  While I am a fan of the jewelry designer, I did not appreciate the look so much on Michelle Obama and it further fuels my charge to end bows with J. Crew!  I do like the attempt for the edge.  I probably would have been far more interested in the piece without the bows.  It just ruins it for me completely and nevermind the $295 pricetag.  Argh.














7.  I am running out of energy for this and the Rosette ruffle cardigan at @128 isn't helping.  More ruffle-like layering.  I probably would have appreciated this three seasons ago when it was still feeling new and fresh, but now it just adds to lack of creative inspiration for me.  How many of these cardi's can one girl possibly have in her wardrobe.









8.  More ruffle-layering with the Sweeping ruffles shirt at $98.  Need I say more?  Beach or no beach....stop the look completely.

So that wraps up my early 2010 "Hit and Miss" list.  I do love that J. Crew is threading in this feminine and rather understated look with their pieces.  This lends nicely to Spring around the corner.  The colors as always are lovely.  I just wish that if they are going to push the envelope creatively, they do it in a way that better marries with their brand and entire collection.  Some of the pieces I would categorize as a "miss" are pushing the limit on ugly.  I love eclectic style finds, but some these feel priced expensively for the sake of it without the goods to back it up!  That is my opinion only and would love to hear others comments!  Happy shopping ladies...

4 comments:

  1. Love all your choices for hit & miss...except the sweeping ruffles shirt. I'm not sure it's a hit, but I'm not sure it's a miss - I think this is a piece that will look amazing on some people and horrid on others. I envision it with very sleek bottoms. I'm intrigued enough to want to try it on...and I'll wait to trash it until then. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know when you do! And I agree...will be interesting to see how well it is received.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are right-on with these choices. I just saw that gown last night for the first time and was laughing. I had to make a comment on JCA about it. Is she wearing that dress or is it wearing her? It's a prom dress on steroids!
    Love the blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. btw - I did order the sweeping ruffles shirt a week or so ago. it's backordered through 5/17, so we'll see when it actually arrives. and if it was actually worth the wait. I did use FS to order, though, so that I won't feel bad if I have to return it.

    ReplyDelete