Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Utilitarian Gone Wild













I just cannot help myself.  I am typically not overly anxious to follow a trend, but I have been all over the utility, militaryn chic, campy and fatique looking garments.  Many of the major designers have showcased this look and J. Crew, Land's End Canvas and my recent Victoria's Secret are no exceptions.  In the last month I have purchased JC's Relaxed boyfriend military jacket, Land's End canvas cargo pants which I previously reviewed and Victoria's Secret Drawstring jacket in spring moss ($58) which has a very feminine feel.  I lucked out with the JC boyfriend jacket as it is sold out, but stumbled upon it at the B&M yesterday marked down to $59.99.  I love the style, very well-made and love how the waist can be cinched for different looks.  VS also has a variety of utilitarian looks, but I love the light weight of the drawstring jacket and the cinched sleeves.  Both jackets can be transitional pieces.  Hopefully I will cut myself off, but really love pairing these somewhat masculine looks with ultra-fem blouses or tees.  Do you like this trend or are you tired of it already?!

4 comments:

  1. I'm not tired of it yet. Given that there is usually some combat going on in the world, the military look always finds its way into fashion. I have the Old Navy utility jacket and plan on popping a flower pin on it once in awhile. I draw the line at fatigues, though. The black blossom jacket for $25 was as close as I'll get ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was able to score the J. Crew Boyfriend Military Jacket on a popback and I LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree on the fatigues, and also purchased the bb jacket...I had to draw the line on the camo pants although they looked super chic on the runway! I am not sure I could pull that off in any way!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A little bit goes a long way (ahem, as long as someone doesn't wear them all together!) I think the J.Crew boyfriend jacket is a basic you'll fall back on for years.

    ReplyDelete