Tuesday, September 20, 2011

J. Crew's Runway Debut at NYFW...vogue.com!

 "J.Crew has gone from being a preppy brand with a beautifully shot catalogue to a quirkily preppy brand with a beautifully shot catalogue and a significant voice in the conversation on American style . Sure, it might not be pushing capital-F fashion forward, but it is influencing and, one could argue, changing the way real women dress. So why not show in Lincoln Center during New York Fashion Week?"


Photograph by J. Crew
Photograph by J. Crew
Photograph by J. Crew

Need I say more?  Absolutely beautiful J. Crew's 2012 Spring Preview from vogue.com by Emily Holt.  Marissa Webb (now the former head of women's design) describes this as nautical with "crisp greens and blues perhaps inspired by the Mediterranean and Aegean Seas she sailed during a recent holiday."  "Reds and oranges are thrown in the mix too, as is Françoise Hardy, for her feminine-slash-tomboy aesthetic."


Webb also describes two evolutions 1) of the "dorky mid-calf skirt lengths and 2) "sequins in saturated brights for spring, as opposed to the sophisticated, if not muted metallics of late."

September 13, 2011 3:28 a.m


For me it is just as much about the styling and accessories as it is the beautiful clothes.  It could be a lovely scarf or bright bangle  which can stand alone just as beautiful or be layered up for a more eclectic feel.  I like the obvious print mixing whether it is polka dots over a plaid print and also color blocking, one of my favorites for this season.  I am really excited about Spring 2012 (could we just fast forward through Winter?).  Seriously!

I also like the subtle sophistication of some of the Collection pieces too.  It makes me feel like J. Crew as I remember the brand (too long ago I'm afraid), has grown up and has landed in so many of our closets like a crazy cult favorite.  A woman can never have enough pencil skirts and lollipop colored cashmere.

So, I am glad that J. Crew made it to FW.  As the article described, "J. Crew may not be pushing capital F-fashion forward", but they are definitely "influencing".  I don't know about you, but I would consider myself a modern woman and my closet is filled with plenty-o-pieces from J. Crew.  Are you a loyal follower?  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment