Monday, June 25, 2012

Summer-crush on neutrals...

Whether you are heading to the shore or to an evening outside dinner party, a neutral palette is always pleasing.  I love neutrals year after year because I love the colors that it evokes - light taupe, pale pinks, crisp white, vanilla.  And I love the fabrics that they are associated with as well from silk to linen and cotton to lightweight wools and rayon.  I also love that you can really play up your favorite chunky jewelry or your most classic and elegant pieces.  Neutrals allow for you to adorn a beautiful scarf or wear vibrant shoes.  I love everything about them and I think that with some key pieces, you can build your own palette.  I also love the neutral makeup options for summer.  It is obviously a good time to hold back on the foundation and use a natural bronzer with some shimmery shadows for the eyes.
J. Crew Havana
Clutch ($59.99)

Banana Republic Callie Shirt
Dress ($79.99)
I've pulled a collection of pieces that I love from different designers and retailers.  In the end, you really cannot go wrong as you layer or wear neutrals minimally.  These should be staples in every one's wardrobe and you don't have to spend a fortune.  The J. Crews, Gaps and Banana Republics all have pretty neutral pieces at reasonable prices.  I also pulled some pretty images from my Pinterest* boards (below).
J, Crew Jersey Lomellina
CrissCross Bandeau Tank ($115)

Talbot's Heritage Fit
Wide-leg Satin-back
Crepe pant ($134)
Some of the staple neutral pieces I prefer include having a nice casual dress like the Banana Republic Callie shirt dress which can be dressed up with pearls or down with sandals.  A great neutral accessory for any outfit including this dress is a straw/woven clutch like the Havana by J. Crew.  It is perfect out any day or night.

Eileen Fisher Linen Delave
Jersey with Lace Trim ($258)
A great pair of cropped or full length white or cream pants are a must.  I even throw a nice white jean into this category as well.  Talbot's Heritage Fit Wide-leg Satin-back crepe pant is the perfect starting point to a neutral outfit or in combination with a bright or printed top.

I reference layering a lot, particularly in the Summer because you just don't know day to night how the temps will be and I would rather layer with light fabrics that are easy and drape nicely.  All of Eileen Fisher's clothes are like this and one piece I just love is the V-neck Boxy Tunic in Linen Delave Jersey with Lace Trim in stone.  This is a great one over a cami or tee and you will get a ton of wear out of this.

I am also a fan of a beautiful neutral bathing suit like J. Crew's are.  They are really my go-to for suits with a beautiful range of colors from brights to earthy neutral.  And I just adore the draping and flattering fits such as the Jersey Lomellina CrissCross Bandeau Tank in earth. Love, love.

Neutral accessories are great as well and there are so many options from hats to soft, light cashmere scarves and sunglasses to handbags.  J. Crew's Panama hat in neutral is a fav of mine.  It can go chic to casual and I take it everywhere.

Kate Spade Gold Coast MaryAnne
($478)
J. Crew Panama Hat ($58)
In the summer I also love a larger neutral handbag.  Kate Spade has such lovely bags and the Gold Coast MaryAnne ($478) is a soft leather with just the tiniest bit of shimmer.  The color is cashew and it goes with everything.

I could go on and on.  Neutrals can really be a standout in so many ways.  I love the understated side of them or how they can be super casual and natural with linen shorts and a tee.  A good starting foundation should have some sort of neutral.

Le Metier de Beaute'
Kaleidoscope Face Kit in
Flawless($95)

Sun-kissed neutral makeup so that
skin shows through with a contour on
cheeks and a neutral lip and eye,
mascara to widen
One last rave is a cool and chic all-in-one make up set from Le Metier de Beaute' called the Kaleidoscope Face Kit (Flawless).  Their favorite formulas all packaged in a clever stacking system including a mirror.  I love their products in general, but this packaging is ingenious and allows me to ditch all the powder, highlighter and blush compacts from my bag.  This set includes universal shades for nearly every skin tone with a translucent powder, highlighter, rouge and bronzer.  It is a bit pricey at $95 but you will wonder why you needed anything else in your bag once you try it!  Upscale department stores such as Nordstroms, Nieman Marcus and Saks carry it.  It's fabulous!

Happy summer days and cheers.

*Here are some of my Pinterest pin favorites in neutral and whether it be makeup, underpinnings or apparel - these colors weave through regardless of season making them universally appealing.

Neutral can be sexy too!  Carine Gilson
Theme Egerie Silk Crepe
de Chine Set
Fall 2012 RTW Dior





1 comment:

  1. I am very conflicted in this regard--I love neutrals and yet, I ADORE color! I can tell we share this feeling. Kinda hard to define a capsule wardrobe this way but I keep trying:)

    ReplyDelete