Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Let Your Beauty Shine Through...

It's been awhile since I've posted and truth be told am going through a bit of a rough spot.  There have been some dramatic changes with work and I am also in need of full knee replacement on both knees...needless to say, this news has thrown me in a tailspin.  So I've returned to blogging which gives me joy and refuge quite frankly; it allows one to escape if only for a little while.

One thing that I thought most appropriate since my makeup and clothing will be far more casual than a workday would be to highlight some of my favorite products that enhance but also let one's natural beauty shine through.  I have also mixed in some of my favorite "Fresh-Faced" Pinterest boards which will hopefully inspire you to also focus on your own beautiful features.

I am not a big fan of sheer tinted foundation which is the "unfoundation" foundation but for whatever reason I can never really get the tint quite right and there are always a few areas that I wished were covered a bit more.  So even in the Summer, I like to resort to a mattifying, light foundation.  Clarins Ever Matte SPF 15 Skin Balancing Foundation is a great one.  It really tightens pores which tend to enlarge in humid, hot weather, but it is not too refining.  It really lets the skin glow-through and also cuts the shine that looks oily in warmer months.  And, it is great for all types of skin.  I also like the SPF 15 before I head out the door.  At $32 for 1 fl oz., it is a great cost and just enough to get me through Summer months.

On eye color.  This is one I could take or leave in the heat, but if you get the right primer or base, then the prettiest colors under the sun have more staying power.  I really like the Nars Smudge-proof Eyeshadow Base.  There is no cracking or running and keeps both powder, cream and liners in place.  One of my favorite Summer colors is also from Nars called Tropic and it is one of the Shimmer shadows.  It looks dark in the photo and in package, but it is so pretty.  And if this is not your color, there are 26 other options to pick from!   Use the Abbey Road color from the Larger Than Life Long-Wear Eyeliner collection.

One thing I cannot do without no matter what the season is Smashbox Step by Step Contour Kit.  This three pod kit has contour, bronze and highlight powders and its own brush making it simple to enhance your best lines and it is great to use alone as a bronzer as well.  Don't be fooled by the darkness of the contour and bronze color as it is beautiful on my light, pinker skin tone making it look flawless and I would imagine that it would be stunning on darker skin tones.  Then for a more finished, sun kissed look, I layer over Nars Super Orgasm blush.  Both of these items are in my bag year-round.  And each of them can be used without any foundation as well.  They are beautiful over skin after a day at the pool or beach.  One trick I picked up after reading one of my fashion mags was to take a dark lip pencil such as MAC's cork and enhance yours or dot in freckles to again enhance day-in-the sun looks.  It really works and I have lots of freckles so to see them as features now is fantastic.

Do you ever fall head over heels in love with a product only to find it was limited edition or special gift?  I have sort of this issue but in general for a lip color I've been searching for the longest time.  First, my love for pink is endless and it is obviously one of those colors no matter what the shade is just sumptuous for Summer.  I love Sephora's Nano lip liner in Candid Candy #4.  Here is the problem.  It is so short and I go through them so fast.  The other issue is that although thin, it does not fit in any of my sharpeners including Sephora's own!  It is the only light, cool pink I can find.  I have searched nearly ever other brand and cannot find one to match.  Nars used to make one similar but they do not carry it anymore.  Nevertheless it is my favorite liner.  If any of you know of a light, cool almost pure pink liner, please share with me.

On the pink train, but not too pink is my fav Summer highlighter.  Smashbox's Soft Lights Highlighter in Prism.  It is absolutely luminous and it lifts your cheekbones like they are perfectly placed.  It also comes in Shimmer which is a hair darker, both beautiful.  I cannot go without this little beauty and it is great with or without foundation for a quick pick-me-up.

If you have not picked up on my theme yet, then let me just say that I much prefer neutral tones in the warmer weather because whether you get a rosy red glow or freckles galore, it is the one time of year you can accentuate those features rather than covering or layering up.  And the lips are no exception.  I cannot rave enough about Tom Ford's Private Blend lipsticks.  Pricey, yes, but worth it because the texture is unbelievable.  They go on moisture-rich but hold the color beautifully all day.  The blush nude is a stunning nude that works well on all skin tones.  These gorgeously packaged lipsticks contain exotic ingredients such as Brazillan murumuru butter and chamomile flower oil which provide the ultra-rich texture.  There are 18 colors so I recommend going with a neutral first and you won't be disappointed.

They say that if you have to leave the house without makeup to at least try to brush on some mascara.  A good mascara can open up those eyes and lighten up the whole face so I have to agree with this.  A bad mascara can't make it a full day without flaking, clumping, running and who wants that?  This is another one of those items in your makeup bag that deserve a little more investment so that you get beautiful lashes ever time.  So I have a couple recent favorites being Chanel's Inimitable Intense Mascara Multi-dimensional Sophistique' ($30).  I prefer Noir, but it also comes in Brun, Purple and Rouge Noir.  This mascara pulls each one of your lashes and lengthens and slightly curls the ends.  My lashes almost look artificial when I apply and I mean that in the best way.  I can apply one application to both eyes and don't need to layer as it is that good.  I also love Benefit's They're Real! mascara ($22).  This mascara comes in jet black only and does all that it promises including lengthening, curling, volumizing and separating all in one application.  It gets rave reviews from its users and I know why.  It is fabulous!

Look, Summer is the time to feel beautiful and shed all the makeup, clothes and other things that weigh us down in the colder months.  Investing in a few key products can make such a difference in enhancing your own true beauty.

I have some rough months ahead.  Right now I am really trying to focus on the best parts of me.  Summer also provides much needed time to find some peace whether that is taking a vacation that you've long needed or reading a good book - or maybe, it is buying some new products as a pick-me-up!  Whatever it is, do it for yourself because you deserve it!  Happy Summer and let me know what your favorite products are for Summer or throughout the year.

Feel free to check out my Pinterest boards under "A Fresh Face" for other natural looks.

Cheers.

4 comments:

  1. Welcome back...I missed reading your blog. I'm also sorry that your health and work life are currently so stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your note and I am glad that you like reading my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to read about your need for surgery! I hope you recover very fast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rose, thank you so much. I am having double knee replacement on 8/7! EeK! Thanks for your well-wishes.

    ReplyDelete