Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A Pretty Penny...and Then Some! J. Crew's Flower Lattice Necklace!


J Crew's Flower Lattice Necklace @$228


Wow.  The price one might pay for something cool, eclectic and uber chic.  J. Crew's new flower lattice necklace is one of those immediate eye-catchers, at least for me.  I am all about big, chunky, bright and layered jewelry.  But once again I am scratching my head with J. Crew's high pricing to attain the hip and cool.  This necklace is priced at $228 out of the gate!  I have statement jewelry from the likes of Ben Amun and Alexis Bittar which are priced more reasonably.  The point there being that these are well known jewelry designers who may deem such pricing, but J. Crew?  I am not sure.

Don't get me wrong, the Czech glass and rhinestones are lovely on this piece.  I just wish that they would consider the audience or minimally have built credibility in this space to conjure up such high prices. I don't usually like to "vent" but rather review or share positively, but this almost makes me mad.  I find it almost insulting that they would ask me to pay such a price for this piece.
Ben-Amun Pearl & Crystal Teardrop necklace @$245

Alexis Bittar's Pave Accented Gold
Clustered Gem Necklace
@$345
I love J. Crew's jewelry and they have done a phenomenal job breaking into the jewelry business with beautiful colors, stones and styling through layering be it bracelets or necklaces.  Jenna Lyons really captured a fun trend through her own wearing of layered jewelry.  But every now and then I feel they bop us on the heads with either a trend that has pushed the limits too far or a price that just doesn't fit this retailer.

What are your thoughts about this?  Do you feel this is over-priced or just right?  Would you buy this JC necklace full price?  Do you have other examples of this over pricing?

Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. Excellent points & totally agree! When I saw the Lattice was amused since it was a lot like a BR necklace from several years ago, which is just as cute & for lots less with promo. Good quality (still sparkly, hasn't discolored etc.). Bought the JC Fenton Fallon necklace last summer on sale & still feel I overpaid for it @$129. It doesn't have the pop I thot it would have & weighs a ton...wish I could have returned it but alas the perils of Final Sale! Have just a few Alexis Bittar pieces which I still love more & have had longer. Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your note Carol! I was wondering about the Fenton and Fallon pieces in general which I liked. I wasn't entirely sure that the aesthetic was J. Crew but I liked the idea in general of collaboration and cross-designing. Take care...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that lattice necklace! I actually used it for a post I did last week! It is absolutely amazing! I don't think I could justify spending that much money on a necklace...

    Very cute blog - I'm now following!

    http://allthingsalisamarie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete