Thursday, June 16, 2011

Summer's Classic Offerings Wrapped Up in J. Crew July, Brief Review...Catalog Available Online!

Oh July, my love! Well, not quite, but J. Crew has set "sail" with lots of new items and of course their July catalog.  It gives me a sense that the depths of Summer are just around the corner and I am laid up! Having had my back surgery, I've had limited attention span for just about anything, but have appreciated the time to heal and sit back.  And scrolling through fashion's emerging Summer pieces is nice therapy on the side!

J. Crew's July offerings don't disappoint and even though many of the trends are consistent across retailers (the "maxi", linen, nautical stripes, wedge sandals...), I was loving the richness of color JC offered throughout.  They also captured some of the old J. Crew that I've longed to see.  

"Celebrate Summer" as example on catalog pages 2-3 shows the classic "preppster" family wearing classic clothes.  This photo makes me want to join them!  I would imagine they are sharing a traditional lobster feast, either in the Hamptons or off the coast of Maine.  The vibrant color mixed with beauty (especially Lauren Hutton), make me feel happy for all that Summer brings.  Love the styling with classic button downs and linen, plaid and trendy tortoise shell sunglasses.

I adore the paisley pencil skirt and at 22" in length, a more suitable option for those of us that are out of the "mini" options!  JC has been too short, short in my opinion for far too long.  I also love the pearls styled over the boys white shirt and how about the Tretorns?  Love this look completely and from my perspective, I think this is a nice transition "back" to a more classic J. Crew look as well.

I like the Marlow bag in henna.  It is nice and roomy 12"X17" overall with several pockets to please.  It reminds me of the kind of bag my mother carried around when we were young holding all of our stuff every day! I tell my kids now that if they bring it, they carry it!  

Per my post below, Eddie Borgo is featured with J. Crew as a runner-up for the CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund award.  I am not a big fan of his "punk-ish" jewelry.  This seems to target a younger crowd but the cool aesthetic is spot-on to add to some of the more classic pieces of J. Crew.  Frankly I was more interested in spying in on his prized possessions (check out the site).  It is fun looking into what makes people who they are and what drives them creatively.  And, his cool aesthetic is clear through his guest edits for Jenna's Picks.  

I like the Panama hat which is nicely priced at $58.  I have seen these as high as $300, so this is a great steal for Summer.


Lastly, J. Crew does a fabulous job with swim suits both in cut and color.  July is no exception.  With colors like  plum orchard, vivid poppy, casablanca blue and agate both in green and a sumptuous paisley - who would not want to dream about a vacation by the sea!

Where are you traveling to this Summer?  Are there any "must pack" pieces from J. Crew that you will take along?  What do you think about JC July in general?

Cheers.

2 comments:

  1. Wishing you fast healing from your back surgery!

    I have a review of the Marlow on my blog (just scroll down). It is a huge bag.

    ReplyDelete