Saturday, June 25, 2011

Loving the "Headscarf" as a Perfect Summer Pick-Me-Up!

Janie Besner Silk Scarf & MARC BY MARC JACOBS Sunglasses
Since I've been laid up, I've taken a heightened approach to pulling my hair back so I don't have the stress of washing every day.  With that, sometimes it is just best to cover it up!


You probably noticed that the scarf has been used as a beautiful accessory in so many fashion magazines this Summer.  There are some amazing colors that can add just the right pop of color. It really is a fabulous way to dress yourself up a bit whether you are in shorts or going out to dinner (or in my case recuperating with visitors stopping by!).


So, who says you have to look tired and unkempt because you are off your feet?  And who says you can't take that same old outfit and spice it up?  I've taken a renewed interest in my scarf box.  Maybe you have or had a grandmother stow some of these in an attic or drawer.  Some of my Aunt's have come back in fashion so I am glad these stuck around and made it into my drawer!


Obviously eBay is a great way to search for some higher end designer scarves such as Ferragamo, DVF and Pucci.  Nordstroms also carries these scarves and with some other more affordable options as shown in the picture above by Janie Besner.  Scarves that are specific for head wear may commonly be referred to as a headscarf, neckerchief or head wrap.  Nordstroms highlighted the "headscarf" recently in their blog The Thread as follows:

"The Headscarf: Summer Hats' Alter Ego"

We love hats for sunny weather, but a lightweight headscarf has become one of our new favorites in headwear. It’s a perfect, unfussy way to tame unruly hair while punching up casual summer basics—like cutoffs and a tank—and good for anything from looking cool and carefree at the beach to running errands around town, without worrying about who you might run into.


The key to rocking the headscarf? Proportion, material and color. Keep the length long, for flirty floating tails. Choose a vibrant print or color in a fabric that’s light and airy. Stick with your basic tops and bottoms or swimwear here—e.g. save your favorite tribal maxi dress for another time to avoid looking like you’re going to read somebody’s palm.
Knot it up, pair it all with aviators or oversized sunglasses, abig totecute espadrilles, and you’ve got a ‘70s-inspired, glam-gypsy mix that’s ready for wherever summer takes you.

Lulla Collection by Bindya 'Butterfly' Square Scarf

I also find that the texture/material is important in choosing a scarf.  One with a blend including some cotton is very breathable.  I also like a "washed" silk or chiffon which gives it a nice feeling on your head or skin and adds a pretty sheen. If you are seeking the length of the scarf to fall a bit longer from your hair or even down your back, make sure you consider dimensions.  I like to wrap and then have substantial scarf left to fall behind my hair, so 70" in length is typically my choice.  This also allows the scarf to be used as a body wrap through another season.  
For me, this accessory has come back to rear it's "chicness" right onto my head!  Do you have any pretty scarves that you have either stored or plan to buy?
Cheers!  

No comments:

Post a Comment