Sunday, July 29, 2012

Pick a Pack of Polka Dots at J. Crew!


Designer Dots!
There must be a comeback of the polka dot or "dot".  Dots are pretty much the feel-good trend of the season(s).  They are perfect to wear to work in a stylish polka dot dress which can carry you right through cocktail hour.  The dot print is also perfect to style up a pair of jeans.  And J. Crew is not the only retailer hailing dots as I have seen them at Ann Taylor, Talbot's and the Gap to name a few.  And they graced the runways with several designers as well.  Their really isn't a scarcity of these cute little spots.


Polka-Dot Tie-Neck Dress
I will say that the styling J. Crew does is smart so if I wanted to wear dots every day (which I wouldn't because I don't love them quite that much), but one certainly could and mix it up reasonably well.  Polka dots seem to graze every category of J. Crew. There is the large dot, silky dot, polka dot and optic dot!  I honestly didn't know that there were so many types of dots. You too can have some dots from J. Crew ranging anywhere from $12.50 for a pair of socks to $268 for a Collection cashmere sweater.  I am scratching my head here because I certainly do not want a "cheap dot" but whether you have one on cotton or cashmere will certainly drive the polka dot rate!
Collection Cashmere Polka-Dot Sweater
$268

But, with every good thing - it must come to a sharp halt so that it does not border annoying from one season to the next.  Do you remember just a few seasons ago how happy JC got with all the ruffles?  I hated them after two seasons in fact I pulled them completely out of my wardrobe.  My hope is that the dots exit more swiftly so that we can love them all the more if that makes sense.  I appreciate J. Crew's keen sense of design and clearly they are watching trends, but I would like to see them move on to other trends.
Invitation Clutch in Dot
Here is a very odd thing.  So I really thought the dots played out well in both their catalog and online, but when I visited one of their B&M's today, they seemed lackluster.  In fact, these wonderful round spheres fell completely flat, at least for me.  The Invitation Clutch in Dot seemed drab compared to the website which featured a sharper, sleeker black bag. I was thinking this $158 clutch would have major appeal, but I was a little disappointed.

Naomi Top in Polka Dot
Polka Dot Scarf
So here is where I landed with the dots.  I picked the Polka Dot Scarf and the Naomi Top in Polka Dot - one accessory and one apparel piece, just so I didn't overload!  How do you feel about the dots?  Do you like this trend?  Do you think that J. Crew overdoes a good thing when it comes to trends?  Cheers!
Dots, Dots and More Dots...
Cafe Capri in Silky Dot
and More Dots!
Ruffle Henley



Large Dot Trouser Socks
$12.50



6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ChrisAugust 2, 2012 8:45 PM
    I am following you now! Are you following me?

    Thanks Meganne...:)

    Chris

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the polka dots at jcrew....wish my wallet loved them just as much...

    Rosalyn
    www.just2fancy.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to read and follow your blog, but your background is so busy it's hard for me to read the text. You might consider readability. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Denee- I have been working on the background so thanks for your suggestion! Best, Chris

    ReplyDelete